SPICE (Senior Programs of Interest, Concern, and Engagement) develops educational, cultural and social programs for members who are over 50 years old.
Upcoming SPICE Dates:
Monday, April 1 – SPICE Program
Monday, April 22 – SPICE Seder
Monday, May 6 – SPICE Program
Monday, May 20 – SPICE OUT Bechtler Museum
Monday, June 3 – SPICE Program
Friday, June 7 – SPICE Potluck Shabbat Dinner
Monday, June 17 – SPICE OUT Treehouse Vineyards
Put some SPICE in your life!
We Learn Together
Attend Bi-Monthly Presentations
- Join us on the first and third Wednesday of the month for SPICE-In, a lunch and learn format including morning presentations by clergy and paralleling afternoon presentations by Charlotte area professionals. There’s always plenty of time for socializing.* Lunch is available and must be prepaid. (Registrations required)
To register for a SPICE program, click here.
We Have Fun Together
- Visit great venues with SPICE Outs, which take SPICE offsite to museums, theaters, and other locations providing an atmosphere for exceptional learning experiences and fabulously fun times. (Registrations required.
We Care for Each Other
- Provide companionship with SPICE’s Seniors Visiting Seniors program which trains and supplies volunteers who offer companionship to shut-ins. Providing some much-needed conversation, a friendly face, encouraging words, and quiet listening are incredible mitzvot offered by our volunteers. (Contact Carol Sandler.)
We Act Together
- Perform Tikkun Olam/Repairing the World
- SPICE is a community partner with Sterling Elementary School. Raising funds, providing enhancements to students’ experiences, rewards for achieving goals, and working one-on-one with students to elevate learning experiences are the hallmarks of SPICE’s relationship with Sterling Elementary. (Contact Michael Norman.)
- SPICE participates annually in May at TBE’s Mitzvah Day. Preparing educational kits that are used throughout the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system is another way SPICE lends a hand to the community. (Contact Sue Hummel.)
We Pray Together
- Three times a year we come together at a Shabbat evening service followed by a Pot Luck Dinner. Nothing says community like a jointly made and shared meal.
To receive a quarterly SPICE flyer, to be added to the SPICE mailing list, to obtain assistance logging into ShulCloud, and to register for programs, please contact Sue Hummel at 704-366-1948.
SPICE programming for Jewish seniors 50+ is made possible through a generous grant
from the BJH Foundation for Senior Services.
*Please check the Temple Beth El calendar. Dates are subject to change. SPICE typically meets on Wednesdays if TBE is closed for a national holiday on the first and third Mondays of the month. Similarly, the occurrence of a Jewish holiday may alter SPICE meeting dates
The mission of SPICE is to enhance the quality of life of affiliated and non-affiliated Jewish seniors by providing religious, cultural, educational, or social programs of interest and concern.