My heart is in the East, while I am at the edge of the West. – Yehuda Halevi
The Reform Movement in Israel needs our help! Click here to learn how you can Vote Reform in 2020.
Israel Committee Mission Statement
The Israel Committee seeks to deepen and strengthen the types of relationships Temple Beth El congregants have with Israel in all her facets: as Eretz Yisrael, the Jewish homeland; as Medinat Yisrael, the modern State of Israel; and as Am Yisrael, the people of Israel.
- Encouraging the integration of Israel into temple programming and other facets of temple life
- Infusing Israel into educational programming so as to help congregants become more informed about and engaged with Israel
- Fostering a spiritual connection to Israel
- Promoting activities that enhance our partnership with Kehilat Birkat Shalom and the Hadera region
- Supporting Progressive Judaism in Israel
- Partnering with our Shalom Park partners around Israel-related events and programs
- Serving as a sounding-board for the clergy team and congregant voice on Israel-related matters
- Producing a periodic email news blast on Israel to be sent via TBE communication to those interested
To find out more information about Temple Beth El and Israel contact our Israel Committee Chair, Alyson Traw.
Our Sister Congregation in Israel
Temple Beth El is committed to supporting the Reform movement in Israel. We have an ongoing partnership with the Reform synagogue Birkat Shalom in Kibbutz Gezer. We support Birkat Shalom financially and with reciprocal visits.
Congregational Trips to Israel
Join congregants of all ages on our multi-generational trip as we explore the history, culture, and land of Israel. Explore the Old City, float in the Dead Sea, hang out with some camels, get your spirituality on in Tzfat, and celebrate a Temple Beth El B’nei Mitzvah as we connect with our Holy Land and build community with one another.
Join Rabbi Dusty Klass on the next TBE Israel Trip! August 8-19, 2020. For information on this trip and others, contact Amy Fine, Clergy Assistant.
Discovering Israel in Religious School
In our Temple Beth El Religious School we will be learning about Israel through STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) Careers.
Students will learn to:
- Develop a new connection to modern-day Israel by understanding that Israel is more than a place of religious and historical significance.
- Identify key cities on a map and recognize their significance as centers of innovation.
- Articulate ways in which Israel is committed to Tikkun Olam and is making global contributions in and outside of Israel.
- Create and test prototypes inspired by Israeli inventions.
Every lesson reflects challenges and activities that STEAM professionals encounter in Israel today.
Quick Resource Links
- Union for Reform Judaism – Israel Engagement including: ARZA, The Reform Israel Fund and supporter of the Israel Movement for Reform and Progressive Judaism (IMPJ) and the Israel Religious Action Center (IRAC).
- ReformJudaism.org – Learn about the land of Israel: its society, history, arts and culture, Reform Jewish communities, and much more
- Jewish Federation of Greater Charlotte The Israel & Overseas Department that builds local community connection to Israel.
- Our Sister Congregation in Israel Birkat Shalom at Kibbutz Gezer is a member congregation of the Reform Movement in Israel.
- Women of the Wall Attaining social and legal recognition for the rights of women to wear prayer shawls, pray and read from the Torah at the Western Wall.
- News and Current Events
- Times of Israel – covering Israel, the region & the Jewish world
- Haaretz – provides extensive and in-depth coverage of Israel, the Jewish World and the Middle East
- Israel21c – a non-partisan, nonprofit organization, and publisher of online news recognized as a diverse and reliable source of news and information about 21st century Israel
- Israel Relations and Politics
- The Israel Project – a non-partisan American educational organization dedicated to informing the media and public conversation about Israel
- The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) To strengthen, protect and promote the U.S.-Israel relationship in ways that enhance the security of the United States and Israel.
- J-Street – The Political Home for Pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans who want Israel to be secure, democratic and the national home of the Jewish people.