As a proud member of MeckMIN (Mecklenburg Metropolitan Interfaith Network), Temple Beth El is involved in a variety of interfaith efforts throughout greater Charlotte.
In collaboration with Mecklenburg County, Urban Ministry Center/Men’s Shelter of Charlotte, Salvation Army, and Supportive Housing Communities, MeckMIN is helping coordinate and support the use of a motel to house previously-unsheltered neighbors who are at high risk for COVID-19. In particular, MeckMIN has committed to recruit volunteers to support the serving of food for those in the motel. This volunteer opportunity will have very limited person-to-person contact.
MeckMIN needs to schedule REGULAR volunteers to help serve lunch and dinner each day.
Sign up here – but please read this message fully to understand the commitment you are making.
- If you commit to, say, Monday lunch, then you are responsible for every Monday lunch until the program ends. (The end date will be negotiated with the county based on how the phased process of reopening goes.).
- The meals are being prepared by an outside vendor. Volunteers assist in getting the meals to the rooms while they are still hot. There will be very limited contact.
- We don’t have a start date yet, but we want to fill all the volunteer slots as soon as possible so we’ll be ready to go as soon as the motel opens to these guests.
- For privacy reasons, the location of the motel is confidential. All volunteers will be asked to sign a confidentiality statement. The details of the location will be released prior to your first volunteer shift.
- Because many congregations want to be involved, we invite you to review the available slots at the Sign Up Genius link below and click on the button to sign up for 1 or 2 (no more) slots. Link: https://bit.ly/MMhotelsignup
- If you cannot commit to every week, please offer yourself/organization as a Substitute (last option on the Sign Up Genius).
- AGE RESTRICTIONS: Volunteers need to be at least 12 years of age. Volunteers ages 12-17 need to be paired with an adult (parent, guardian, etc.).
PLEASE NOTE that the actual start date has NOT been set – the dates shown on the Sign Up Link are for demonstration purposes only.
Contact Rabbi Klass with questions.