Justice & Action
If you are eager to start repairing the world and help fix what’s broken in our city and region, Temple Beth El’s social justice efforts are for you. Our temple offers so many ways for you and your family to get involved. We lead volunteer projects and advocacy efforts that address poverty, affordable housing, public education, the environment, and many other issues. Whether you are looking for an occasional commitment or a way become deeply involved in an issue you’re passionate about, Temple Beth El gives you the chance to do it with Jewish friends in a warm, welcoming setting.
Our mission is to coordinate the efforts of Temple Beth El members to live out the Reform Jewish value of tikkun olam by providing opportunities to engage in social action efforts and to work toward systemic change in our community.
Temple Beth El’s social justice aims to:
- Pursue social justice and systemic change,
- Assist those in need through acts of tikkun olam, and
- Foster partnerships, cooperation and collaboration on social justice issues among Temple Beth El, the Shalom Park Community, the greater Charlotte community, and the larger Jewish and non-Jewish communities.
We do this by:
- Providing congregants with volunteer opportunities,
- Initiating, sustaining, and sun setting social justice and action projects as appropriate and,
- Educating congregants regarding social concerns of our world.
We envision a congregation where repairing the world is second nature, where young and old alike work side by side to assist our neighbors in need, and where social justice and social action efforts are integrated into all aspects of Temple life. Temple Beth El will be known within the Charlotte community and the North American Jewish community as a powerful force for fostering social action and pursuing social justice and systemic change.