Justice & Action
If you are eager to start repairing the world, Temple Beth El’s social justice efforts are for you. Our temple offers so many ways for you and your family to get involved. We lead volunteer projects and advocacy efforts that address income inequality, access to quality healthcare, public education, climate justice, and many more issues. In each area of focus, we strive to keep racial justice at the center of our work, and are always seeking to partner and collaborate with other organizations, institutions, and individuals whose efforts we might support or bolster. Whether you are looking for an occasional commitment or a way become deeply involved in an issue you’re passionate about, Temple Beth El gives you the chance to do so in relationship with Jewish friends in a warm, welcoming setting.
Our mission is to coordinate the efforts of Temple Beth El members to live out the Reform Jewish value of tikkun olam by providing opportunities to engage in social action efforts and to work toward systemic change in our community.
Temple Beth El’s social justice aims to:
- Pursue social justice and systemic change,
- Assist those in need through acts of tikkun olam, and
- Foster partnerships, cooperation and collaboration on social justice issues among Temple Beth El, the Shalom Park Community, the greater Charlotte community, and the larger Jewish and non-Jewish communities.
We do this by:
- Providing congregants with volunteer opportunities,
- Initiating, sustaining, and sun setting social justice and action projects as appropriate and,
- Educating congregants regarding social concerns of our world.
We envision a congregation where repairing the world is second nature, where young and old alike work side by side to assist our neighbors in need, and where social justice and social action efforts are integrated into all aspects of Temple life. Temple Beth El will be known within the Charlotte community and the North American Jewish community as a powerful force for fostering social action and pursuing social justice and systemic change.
2021 Listening Campaign Results
We’re pleased to share the results of our 2021 Listening Campaign, From Social Distance to Social Justice: Using the Lessons of 2020 to Work for a Better Charlotte.